I have gone off the deep end people. I have entered a new level of
I make my own toothpaste!
Don't be expecting before and after tooth pictures. For one, those are guross. For two, I don't have nice teeth. I have never had nice teeth. They are crooked and forever yellow. I do love my coffee you know, and there is no way I can talk myself into spending huge amounts of money for a whitening kit. Nope. Not gonna happen.
But I do LOVE my homemade toothpaste. I used to have really bad sensitivity issues. Cold, bad. Sweet, bad. Not anymore. My teeth feel so much cleaner and just all around more wonderful with this paste.
I will warn you, the flavor takes a bit of getting used to. It's not overly sweet, and it's a bit salty and the texture is kinda gritty. However, I have noticed if I use regular store bought toothpaste I don't like it. I think it's sickeningly sweet. Like brushing your teeth with candy. Blech!
So, here's what you need to make your own.
4 T Coconut Oil
3 T Baking Soda
3 T Bentonite Clay(affiliate link)
1+ t Xylitol(affiliate link)
5-10 drops Trace Minerals(affiliate link)
20ish drops essential oil of your choice (I used Spearmintaffiliate link)
Mix all of these in a 1/2 pint glass jar with a plastic spoon. The Bentonite clay doesn't like metal. Seems a little snobbish to me, but what are you gonna do?
To use it, just dip in your toothbrush and scoop some out.
If your anything like me your thinking why these items?
- Coconut oil gets rid of all sorts of icky bacteria and is really good for your teeth.
- Baking Soda is a non-scratching abrasive that is great at cleaning, well everything.
- Bentonite Clay pulls toxins. You don't have to use it, but I want the most goody out of my toothpaste I can get. Remember I have blah teeth...
- Xylitol for a sweetness that is actually good for your teeth.
- Trace minerals because we can all use a few more minerals in our system and they help build strong teeth.
- Finally essential oil, for flavor of course!
The ingredients can be a little costly to purchase, but they last forever, well at least a really long time.
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving last week. We sure did. We ate way too much food, and dessert. And on Friday we went and got our Christmas tree. YAY!
Bring on the Holiday season!
Happy days all!